Make no mistake. If California communities want the ability to benefit from local solar, we must defend this ability NOW.
In December 2021, the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) released a Proposed Decision (PD) on the successor tariff for the Net Energy Metering program. It’s no exaggeration: the PD is as bad as it could be.
The California Alliance for Community Energy has been fighting for rooftop solar for years, yet the threat has never been this serious. Below please find links to our efforts, followed by a selection of resources to mount your own actions.
We agree with others: pressure must focus on Governor Newsom — will he be the Governor Who Kills Rooftop Solar?? We cannot let up until the CPUC backs down!
What’s At Stake: The IOUs Win, We Lose
- The Alliance’s Position Paper — “Newsom’s CPUC vs. the People of California” where we call BS on the CPUC putting the utilities’ interests and well-being before that of our communities, January 2022.
- The Avoided Cost Calculator and Why it Matters — debunks this utility-centric tool and its biased assumptions as the foundation for the specious arguments about solar ‘cost shifting onto low-income people, October 2021.
- “Don’t Undermine Solar Self-Generation!” – a letter to the CPUC, October 2021;
- Our position on AB 1139, the Utility Profit Grab bill — while ostensibly about NEM, this measure would have enshrined the utilities’ false equity arguments and cost shift claims to place rooftop solar out of reach for most Californians, May 2021.
Alliance Coordinator Al Weinrub speaking out for our communities at the State House, as over 120,000 signatures in support of rooftop solar were delivered to Governor Newsom on December 8, 2021.Photo courtesy of Solar Rights Alliance
Take Action: Resources from Others
- Fact Sheet explaining how the CPUC’s proposed decision would be bad for all local solar in California, including people who already have rooftop systems. In fact, the decision would hurt lower income households the most.
- The “Save California Solar” campaign website also offers sample texts for calls to the Governor’s Office, tweets and other sample posts to share widely.
- “The Utility Cost Shift Fallacy” white paper, with lots of links to helpful references.
Voices in Support of Local Solar
- “Is the California Coalition Fighting Subsidies for Rooftop Solar a Fake Grassroots Group?” Inside Climate News, February 8, 2022;
- “High Equity Stakes in California’s Solar Fight”, by Crystal Huang, Worker Owner of People Power Solar Cooperative and leader of the national Energy Democracy Project; February 1, 2022;
- “Climate Action Santa Monica to the CPUC and Gov. Newsom: Don’t Derail Decarbonization with a Narrow-Minded Policy for Rooftop Solar”, by Amy Butte, Climate Action Santa Monica and Alliance Steering Committee member, Santa Monica Daily Press, January 26, 2022.
- Guest column in the January 17, 2022, NY Times by former Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger “We Put Solar Panels On 1 Million Roofs in California. Now That Win is Under Threat”.
- “CPUC Proposal to Alter Rooftop Solar Will Hurt Working Families”, Reverend Dr. Ambrose Carroll, Sr., senior pastor, The Church by the Side of the Road, Berkeley; “Green The Church Initiative” and “Coalition for Environmental Equity and Economics”, in the Mercury News, January 13, 2022.
- “Decision on solar metering rules: Utilities vs. rooftop solar customers” by Sam Liccardo, Mayor of San Jose, in CalMatters, December 13, 2021.
- “Power to the People: Why We Need Energy Justice” an article in the Fall 2021 Non-Profit Quarterly by Alliance Coordinator Al Weinrub.